Front Page » Best in Video » Measles… Back in the Day
Best in Video

Measles… Back in the Day

Measles? Well don’t get excited, it’s not serious. Sure, it isn’t serious. If the boy takes it easy, he’ll be as good as new in a few days. He’s only got measles. Only got measles? Doc, if he only had gangrene or typhoid fever. But measles ain’t got no class. It’s kid stuff, they’ll laugh at us. Look, we’ve all had measles, so there’s no problem there. Oh, are you sure it’s the measles? Well, he’s certainly got all the symptoms. A slight temperature, a lot of dots, and a great big smile. A great big smile? No school for a few days. Says hello to my dotted son. Tell him I’ll bring him some comic books and I’ll see you later. Boy, this is the life isn’t it? Yeah, if you have to get sick, sure can’t beat the measles. That’s right! No medicine! Inside or out… like shots, I mean. Don’t even mention shots… yukk!

7 Responses to Measles… Back in the Day

1. caws Reply

March 17, 2017 at 5:49 am

So I hope all you people have signed the White House petition to Trump to keep his promise & make vaccines safer , investigate autism & preserve informed consent & choice etc. They need 100,000 signatures before 3/31 and there are only 13K

2. Toni Desrocher Reply

March 16, 2017 at 8:22 pm

Back in the day, when doctors made house calls, our doctor would bring his kids with him when my sisters and I got measles, mumps or chicken pox so they would get them, too.

3. YaYa Ya Reply

March 16, 2017 at 4:59 pm

This Brady Bunch episode was removed from the full episodes DVD series, due to the fact that this episode declared what was commonly understood by the American population ~ the measles were clearly not a serious threat. A YouTube video that’s still viewable as of last week, includes a Flintstones episode that has the same dialog– the measles are nothing more than an inconvenience for a few days.

My family enjoys old movies, and there are many random moments in old films with these same ‘childhood illness’ observations. Check out, “The Man in the Grey Flannel Suit.” Gregory Peck’s drama-driven child has the Chicken Pox, and emotes, “I’m going to DIE.” Which leads him to declare, “You’re not going to die! NO ONE DIES from the chicken pox!” It’s about 5 minutes of scenes with him and his family discussing the inconvenience, and harmlessness, of the chicken pox.

For your consideration.

4. Audrey Reply

March 16, 2017 at 1:52 pm

I grew up in a family of 13 kids in the ’50s and ’60s—a “yours, mine & ours” thing, like the Brady Bunch times two. We all got everything (measles, mumps, chickenpox) without even a phone call to the doctor. NO BIG DEAL. Then when I had kids in the ’80s, and a friend’s kids got the chickenpox, I invited them over to expose mine. Had them use the same cups and washcloths. When my daughter’s chickenpox showed up (right on time) other neighborhood moms wanted their kids to come to her birthday party to expose their kids. June is a great month to have chickenpox. I wish I had done the same thing with the measles, because now my adult daughter doesn’t have real immunity to measles. And adult my son…well, he got the measles 10 days after the MMR, never got well, and developed all the characteristics of early autism within weeks. That was in 1986—they’ve known of the correlation between the MMR and autism for 30 disgusting years and have done NOTHING to make the vaccine safer or to give children the opportunity to develop true immunity from the wild measles.

5. Alice Reply

March 16, 2017 at 1:28 pm

Boy, if that isn’t right! Everybody had ’em (measles) when I was a child, no one died, time off from school and take it easy. And, as you say, THEN we were immune from measles (and chickenpox, because we had those too) for life. Now the big scare for adults is shingles and another vaccine. In my entire life, I have only met two people who actually got the shingles. Keep yourself healthy and they don’t seem to be a problem either.

• Angela Reply

March 16, 2017 at 9:05 pm

Shingles are becoming more common because children are not getting chicken pox. Both my Mother and my Husband have had the Shingles. Because my children or any children we know ever got the chicken pox. So my mom and husband were never re-exposed to the chicken pox as adults by way of children. That is how it is supposed to naturally happen. Little exposure here and there to children with chicken pox, keeps the shingles away. But now they just want to jab you with another shot.

6. Mark Reply

March 16, 2017 at 12:45 pm

My son had the measles as a child. Being in the alternative medical field, I knew what to give him to alleviate the pain and itching and stop the continuation. It worked. he only had the measles for 1 1/2 days. No fever, itching, or pain just red marks that quickly disappeared. He had the chicken pox for 2 1/2 days as did my daughter – back in school on day 4, not the usual 14 days.

There are remedies for childhood diseases that easily work. Now my children are permanently immune to further outbreaks unlike vaccinated children who need “booster” shots. It is a damn shame no one has sued the vaccine manufacturers and government for “weapons of mass destruction” because that is EXACTLY what vaccines are.